Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Viva Las Vegas!

Jerry and I escaped to Vegas for a long weekend (without Eva!) and had a wonderful time. It had its moments, sure, but I won't go into them here. I could easily get used to not cooking, cleaning, changing diapers and all that other daily drudgery I mindlessly perform. It was heavenly to lay in the sun and read my chick lit book by the pool. I loved going shopping, just Jerry and me, like we used to. Laughing, picking out clothes for each other, sharing a dressing room and coming out looking fabulous. OK, I know that sounds like I was shopping with my best girlfriend, and it would be pretty much the same if I was, and that's the point. Jerry and I got to hang out like best friends, which is something we don't do nearly enough anymore.
A major highlight was seeing Cirque du Soleil: Beatles LOVE. Oh. my. gawd. That was A-MAZ-ING. The athleticism, artistic expression via modern dance, visually expressed creativity. I want to do that. I want to be strong enough and fearless enough to swing and contort on ropes dangling from 30 feet up. I want to be able to move my body in ways that communicate what my heart speaks. The sound system for the show was superb, too. There were even speakers in the head rest of every seat! This show was crammed full of creative expression; a feast for the senses. There were even bits where the performance came into the audience--a performer flying right over your head, confetti exploding onto everyone, a HUGE silken parachute spread over everyone's heads (it was theatre-in-the-round seating). The mondo margarita in the souvenir glass didn't hurt either.
After the show, while hovering behind my father-in-law at a slot machine, giving him good gambling juju (I'm bored by gambling but have a knack for bringing good luck to others by pushing the buttons on their machines) I nudged something with my foot. Hm, what's this? A $100 chip on the floor! Woo-hoo! That paid for the two pair of badass jeans I bought with Jerry earlier in the day. (I'm wearing them in the above picture). I cashed in my chip for a crisp $100 bill and put it in my wallet (and in the bank when I got home). I took a lot of crap from my in-laws because I wouldn't throw it into a machine and possibly double my money--or lose it all, from my standpoint. I didn't have to do a damn thing or lose any money to get that $100. That's a pretty good profit, if you ask me!
How did Miss Eva fare, you ask? Man, she was fine (which I knew she would be; it was me I was worried about). She had a sleepover at Cooper's Friday night, my mom and Eric came Saturday and Sunday and Eva went back to Cooper's Sunday night till we got home Monday afternoon. She wasn't nearly as excited to see us as I thought she should be. Oh well. She's a big girl now, so...
I'm relieved that everything went smoothly for us and for Eva and her keepers. And I'm glad to be back home, even though there's laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, bills, vacuuming...

4 comments:

Syl said...

What awesome pics! That orange one is a postcard or something :) I'm glad you had a swell time--you both totally deserve it!

Dylan and Family said...

Badass jeans, a cool $100 buckeroos for nothings, a mondo margarhita, Cirque du Soleil, no kiddos...and a husband who went shopping with you?!?

I'm not talking to you.

For at least a minute.

Then we'll plan our trip for us girls.

Kristy

Sandi said...

I'm laughing so hard! What a great post about a FANTASTIC trip.

Ditto on the hubby bestfriend, not nearly enough time to enjoy fun times likes shows and stuff.

I'm just enthralled by your stories, you are such a great writer. Keep it up, I check your blog often!

And I agree with Kristy, trip for the girls!!

sunshine glynn said...

You ROCK that bathing suit-- by the way!