Saturday, September 11, 2010

Kindergarten!!

The customary First-Day-of-School-Picture-in-Front-of-the-Garage-Door

Eva enthusiastically started Kindergarten this week. She had a great time getting to know a new school, new teachers, new routines and new friends (and seeing some old friends from Preschool). The staff tell me she has been doing very well with work time and is having fun at recess, in music and at the library.

She's been anxiously awaiting Kindergarten since she started to spend some time in the mainstream Kinder class when she was in Preschool. By 7:30 a.m. on the first day, she was dressed and dancing and hoola hooping around the living room and making snow angels in the carpet to her Party Mix CD I made for her (her favorite dance/techno and lively pop songs).

So excited she can hardly stand it! (This is at 7:30 a.m.--2 hours before school starts).
Eva is going five days a week for a few hours a day to a public elementary school that has the Primary Life Skills program for the district. I don't like the term "Life Skills" because it makes it sound like they're learning how to cook, make their beds and balance their checkbooks. They're little kids. They're learning the same things other little kids are learning. The just need a little more teacher time and assistance. I prefer a "Supported Classroom". So anyway, she is there.

There are two Supported Classrooms at the school with Kinders, 1st- and 2nd-graders combined. One class generally has the Kinders and those in need of more support. The other class, the one Eva is in, generally has older kids and those who have more skills and abilities. She is one of two Kinders in this class with eight 1st- and 2nd-graders. Other Kinders in the district don't start classes until this Monday, but since Eva's class has mostly 1st- and 2nd-graders, her teacher said I could bring her this week if I wanted to. Sure! The more school the better!

I'm glad she is in this class and will have the older kids from whom to model. I'm grateful that the staff recognized that she has the skills to be able to succeed in a more challenging environment. And that I didn't have to petition for her to be given the opportunity to be in this class, which I would have if she'd been assigned to the other class. I am very proud of her.

Hooray for new adventures!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cute, Katie. Eva is SUPER cute! I'm so glad too, that she has been given this opportunity. It's wonderful, especially since she loves to learn (like her mommy)! Awesome clothes too. Love the musical note T. - Darcy (I can't remember my darned Google password!)

Kim Ayres said...

Just to let you know I've added your site to the Down Syndrome Blogs Squidoo Lens as requested.

My own daughter, Meg, started high school last week, which was a bit scary. We feel putting her through mainstream schooling with support was one of the best things we did for her.

Wishing you the very best on your journey with Eva :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she's already in Kindergarten! She's always been so independent, I'm not surprised she's loving it. I love the last pic with the big girl in front of the school, the classic school bus in the distance :) She looks super cute and hip on her first day :) Syl