Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our Trip to the ER


Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. Eva had her first trip to the ER for an injury yesterday. She's alright now but it was a traumatic experience for both of us.

She and I were leaving the PT waiting room yesterday morning after therapy. A helpful little kid was closing the waiting room door behind us. I had hold of one of Eva's hands and the other hand was in the hinge side of the door jamb, which I didn't realize until she started howling when the door was almost closed. Her ring finger was a mangled bloody mess from the last joint to the tip and she was screaming. I was panicking and crying and shaking, too. The CNP staff put a bandaid on her finger to hold things together and I calmed down enough to drive home. I called Jerry and had him call the doctor's office to see if we could get her in right away. They were unusually booked so we three headed to the ER.

After x-rays and too many people looking at her finger (in her loud opinion) it was determined that her finger was NOT broken; that the skin from her last joint to the nail bed was ripped off and a bit of the root of the nail was pushed up. She'll probably lose that nail and the new one will likely grow in with ridges in it. There wasn't much they could do to repair her finger so they wrapped it up with a lot of gauze and sent us home.

The ER staff were wonderful and we didn't have to spend a lot of time there, just over two hours. Eva's highlights were being helped by a dear family friend who works there and seeing the helicopter land. I hope that's what she remembers from the experience. And to not put her hand in the door jamb again.

3 comments:

Syl said...

I sure hate the ER (as much as YES everyone is so nice, etc.) because it's just never good to have to be there. I'm really glad she's ok. And that she saw a helicopter land :)

Sandi said...

Eva we have even more in common now!

My ring finger was smashed by a girl wearing cowboy boots while playing volleyball in 9th grade.

It regrew with ridges and it always chips and stuff. Good thing we can wear finger nail polish!

Oh sweetie, wish you didn't have the pain though. Much love to ya! Your Baker Lake pics were great, we love that place too.
-Sandi

Anonymous said...

Oh, the ickiness! I know this happened a little while ago but it still makes my tummy do an unhappy flippy dance. My poor Eva! My poor Kati! You were BOTH so brave.